Determining What Is Right For You
When considering home care options, please contact several companies and use this as a tool to find one that best suits your needs. Many times, families ask only a few initial questions of the company and later discover the service is not what they expected.
- What do I need help with? (getting dressed, taking medications properly, doctor appointments, etc.)
- How often do I need someone to help me? (eg., 3 times/week, 4 hours)
- How can I pay for these services? (insurance, trust, reverse mortgage, out-of-pocket)
- What is the potential home care company's hiring process? (minimum healthcare experience, skills assessment testing, reference checks, drug screening, criminal background checks, etc.)
- Who supervises the caregivers? What is their background? Is it clinical?
- Will I have the same caregiver? What happens if the caregiver is unavailable to come?
- What happens if I am not happy with my caregiver?
- Does the owner of the company have a healthcare background? How long have they been in business?
- Once services are agreed upon, how long will it take before a caregiver comes to my home?
- What do the services cost?
- Was the company's representative helpful? Did they answer your questions clearly?